Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Secondary School

The primary school

Primary school classrooms

Shaye teaching biology

The Class
Yesterday morning we went to the secondary school to see if we could help with the classes there.  We talked to the headmaster and arranged to help the students with mathematics, biology, and chemistry every day from 8:00 am to 10:00 am.  So today we walked to the secondary school and sat in on some classes.  Trudy and Zoe sat in on a geometry class, Shaye and Colleen sat in on a physics class, and I sat in on a biology class.  Most of us just observed class, but Shaye and Colleen ended up teaching the circulatory system to one of the biology classes.  In my biology class, we learned about endemic diseases.  Today’s disease was typhoid fever and we learned the symptoms, causes, treatment, and prevention for the disease.  Tomorrow they are learning about malaria and I am tempted to come back just to learn about malaria.  Also, they have agriculture classes at the school and I think I will sit in on one of those classes tomorrow also.  We have come to realize that we are not going to be much help at the secondary school.  The teachers just don’t understand that we want to help them teach – either they have us teach the class completely, or we just observe.  Some of the other students who volunteer are frustrated with this, but honestly, it doesn’t bother me that much.  I realize that we are probably not going to help out at the school and that is fine with me.  I am content just observing and watching their classes. 
Yesterday afternoon I went with Brennan to do some interviews in a Maasai boma.  We interviewed 6 ladies and asked them about their level of happiness and their daily tasks in the village.  It was interesting to hear their responses.  Most thought that the hardest tasks were farming and taking care of cattle; and they were the least happy when they were doing these tasks.  We gave the women sugar and tea for their time and then headed back to camp. 
Well, I’m sad to report that the moon is now too bright to see many of the stars.  I have been trying to stargaze but it’s a little tricky since we are smack dab on the equator.  I have to piece together the northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere start charts in order to get a complete picture.  But, I’ll keep working on it! 
Hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween and Happy November!
Erin
Swahili Word of the Day: Usiku [oo-SEE-koo] = night

1 comment:

  1. I get what the ladies are saying. I don't like tasks that involve cattle either!

    ReplyDelete