Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Another Day In The Life [Back at the University]

So today was yet another eventful day in the life of Erin Frankson. Hah, we have so little to do right now, it’s not even funny.  This morning I woke up and ate some breakfast.  The cereal I got at the grocery store is delicious! And I even had milk with it.  It’s going to be strange trying to reintroduce my body to dairy.  Plus, my host family served us bananas with breakfast too.  Mama Frida is all worried that Lauren and I aren’t eating breakfast, but we tell her that we eat every day!  She is rarely around when we eat breakfast so most of the time she doesn’t see us.  But, as a result, we are now getting more fruit since she is convinced that we don’t want to eat “Tanzanian” food. 
At 8:30 I met Liz at the Kiswahili Café for an ecology study session.  We stayed there and studied for 3 hours before calling it quits.  Liz happily ate 5 sambusas J  Then I headed to the post office to mail some postcards and proceeded to sit under a tree and read my book before lunch.  I met Liz, Zach, and Abby for lunch at the cafeteria and had rice and peas with pineapple.  We headed separate ways after lunch and I went back to my host family’s house.  I was pretty bored out of my skull.  I ended up watching Jersey Shore on my Itunes since it was the only television show I had.  Apparently I must have downloaded it sometime when it was free on Itunes.  I colored some pictures, cleaned my room, and then braved the heat for an evening run.  It was short and I was drenched in sweat by the time I returned.  I sat in front of the fan in my room for a while just so I could cool off.  I walked over to dorm 3 and took a shower and now here I am, waiting for dinner to be served. 
I listened to music for a while and got a little homesick.  Sometimes there are just certain things like music and television that make you miss home.  I will admit though, I love having the university full of students!  It makes life so much more interesting and I actually feel like I am a part of the university now.  All of the buildings are open whereas before they were closed or abandoned and all of the dorms are completely full.  It’s nice to see so many people! 
Well, it’s off to dinner now.  I think it’s rice and beans and cabbage.  Talk to you later!
Swahili Word of the Day: Chuo kikuu [CHOO-oh kee-KOO] = university

No comments:

Post a Comment