Saturday, November 12, 2011

Last Days in Olasiti

These are our last few days here in Olasiti.  It’s hard to believe that we’ve been here for a whole month!  Yesterday I wasn’t feeling too great, and it turns out I have a small fever.  But never fear, it’s nothing that advil can’t fix!  The only time it really bothers me is when I am trying to sleep-sleeping on the ground with just a thin mattress makes the achiness twenty times worse.  So yesterday and today I’ve been lying low. I read a lot yesterday and played some euchre and durak (a Russian card game that Karen and Zach taught me).  Also, we’ve been studying our ecology notes for the final, which is when we return to Dar.  Next up we are headed to Laetoli, Olduvai Gorge, Ngorogoro Crater, and Lake Eyasi.  Supposedly the crater is supposed to be super cold!  Won’t that be a shock after this sweltering heat? 
This morning we had another explosion in camp. Hah.  It woke us all up at 5:00 am.  Supposedly they had to blast open the cement slab over the septic system in order to have it pumped.  It was so loud!  So far though, not much has changed in camp.  The Nairobi flies have fortunately been less obnoxious, and we haven’t been getting too many bites.  But, camp is now infested with beetles.  They love the lights in the evening and we often have to ditch the pavilion because it is literally raining bugs. 
This morning we drove to a couple of really tall hills (mountains?) and took a nice long hike up one of them.  It was quite tiring, especially with me not feeling 100%.  But, I made it to the top and the view was pretty amazing.  The land was completely flat until it hit the mountains in the distance.  You could see the Maasai herding their cattle below as well as the little bomas (Maasai Villages) dotting the countryside.  We hiked down and then headed back to camp.  I’m still not feeling the greatest (still a fever and achy).  Hopefully tomorrow is better!
Erin
Swahili Word of the Day: Mlima [mmm-LEE-mah] = mountain

1 comment:

  1. I would've killed whoever blasted the septic tank.

    ReplyDelete