Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mambo! [Hello]

Our Glorious Breakfast


I slept like a rock last night. It was wonderful.  We headed to Mr. Godde’s house for breakfast and were attacked with a pile of forms as high as my head (ok, not really, but there were a LOT of forms to fill out for the university).  It was all a trick! Tempt us with breakfast then spring a bunch of forms on us! Well we got the forms filled out and settled outside for our breakfast catered by the cafeteria workers.  It was some interesting food, picked out by our very own, Mr. Godde himself (although he didn’t have a clue what he was choosing at the time).  Breakfast consisted of Fried bread, more fried bread, hot dogs, and fried plantains.  I can safely say that I got all of my food groups in that meal: fat, cholesterol, processed meat, and more cholesterol. Haha, it was good though, even if it was a little weird.  We were introduced to some of the faculty members at the university and then were given a break.  I went back to the room and read while some others went to eat some chips Maii at the cafeteria (an omelet made out of eggs and French fries).  We then got a health talk in the afternoon by the health center officials which basically consisted of “don’t get AIDS”.  The highlight of our day was visiting Mwenge, the town outside of the university which has a huge market.  We rode in a dala dala, a short mini bus crammed full of people for 300 shillings (15 cents).  It was a tight fit and a bumpy ride!  The market was wonderful with tons of fresh fruits, beautiful paintings, handmade clothes, and other trinkets.  We were all so overwhelmed that we decided we would have to come back another time to purchase gifts and goods.  Lara, I saw so much that you would have loved there!  And dad, I did find your musical instrument there, but I thought that maybe I could find a better one somewhere else.  Anyway, I ate at the cafeteria when I came back and had wali na njgerere (I’ll get a proper spelling on that soon) which consisted of rice with peas.  I then went to the shop at the university to finally get some shampoo.  Now we are sitting in my dark dorm room, waiting for the power to turn back on. It’s been out all day and Colleen and I are dying to see if our new power converter works.  Well, my laptop is out of juice.  I may not post this for a couple days depending on when we get power back.  Hope all is well back in the states!
Erin

1 comment:

  1. So, is Colleen your roommate at Dar? You haven't started classes yet, have you?

    ReplyDelete