Friday, August 12, 2011

I Leave Tomorrow!

Well everyone, I leave tomorrow (did I really just type that?).  I never thought I would actually be saying that! It seems like such a long time ago that I was at St. Olaf applying for the program.  I've been packing like crazy and think I am finally set (minus the textbook that has yet to come in the mail).  I will have to post pictures of me at the airport tomorrow with all of my luggage because it's a pretty hilarious sight!  I managed to fit everything in my backpacking backpack and a small suitcase, which is a feat in itself, considering that I need to bring 4 months worth of possessions.  So far, I believe I am still under the weight limit of 50 pounds, although just barely.  The 4 textbooks and 5 bottles of contact solution are really weighing me down!  But, that being said, I think I've got just about everything I'll need. 
Yesterday it finally hit me that I'm leaving.  And now I am in my "let me just sit and do nothing and savor the fact that I am in my own house for the last time in 4.5 months" mode.  I don't know if any of you have ever experienced that feeling before, but I definitely get it before every big trip I take.  I did manage to get out for a last run here in the United States (I'm not planning on doing much running there as it will be very, very hot and humid, and possibly dangerous) and it was great, although I can't say I remember much of the run.  My mind was going a million miles an hour thinking about Tanzania so I'm not quite sure that I registered the fact that I was running.  And I've got to talk to and see many close friends in the past few days which has been wonderful. 
Well, my flight leaves tomorrow at 7:15 pm from Chicago and I have multiple connecting flights before I actually make it to Tanzania.  We have a 22 hour layover in Switzerland and I hope to get some internet there before heading off to Africa.  All in all, I hope things go smoothly tomorrow (and for the next 2 days of travel).  I'll update as soon as I can!
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment