Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Leaving Tanzania

Well this is it.  I don’t know if I thought this day would ever come, but it’s finally here.  I leave to go back to America at 10:10 pm tonight.  It’s crazy to think that I can now officially say that I’ve “studied abroad in Africa”.  It seems like just yesterday that we were arriving here in Dar and having our first orientation.  It’s only been 11 days since the program has ended and already I miss everyone.  It’s hard to go from seeing everyone 24/7 to not seeing them at all.  I think we are all going to suffer withdrawal from each other eventually.  We helped the Godde’s leave the other day and it dawned on me that it really is time to go.  I think I am finally ready.  No more bottled water, rice for every meal of the day, or squat toilets.  However, I will miss the wonderful fruit, the people, and of course, the weather.  Today and yesterday have unfortunately been rainy, but other than that, it has been beautiful here.  Highs are usually around 90 with tons of humidity, and the sun is always shining.  I stayed with my parents last night at the Whitemark Hotel and it was nice to be spoiled for once (air conditioning, a real bed, a flush toilet).  But at the same time, it was hard to see them go.  Our planes arrive in Chicago at the same time, but they have a 20 hour layover in Turkey and had to depart Dar earlier than me.  I missed my parents, of course, during the course of the program, but I think that now it is so hard to watch them leave after spending so much time with them.  I’m excited to go home, but also slightly nervous.  I’ve heard that the transition home is sometimes difficult, only because people don’t expect it to be difficult at all.  I can’t even imagine having a pantry or drinking water from the tap.  Also, there is a small little holiday just around the corner called Christmas.  Of all times to be going home, I get to come home right in the middle of Christmas.  It’s going to be crazy.  Thankfully, I have done all my shopping here in Tanzania, but part of me doesn’t even want to have Christmas.  I don’t really need anything (well, except new underwear since all of mine is being thrown away here in Tanzania) and I don’t really want to be around a ton of people obsessing over trivial gifts.  On the other hand, I am excited to be with my extended family, and to reunite with many of my friends.  I’m not sure if winter break will go by fast or not.  I fear not having enough time to reconnect with everyone.  I am also afraid that the busy American lifestyle will be a little hard for me to cope with.  For 4.5 months I have been here in Tanzania where everything and everyone moves so slowly.  They don’t have to be anywhere or do anything.  Yet Americans seem exactly the opposite-always going and always doing.  I am sitting here typing this in the cafeteria.  I have just eaten my last meal here (rice and beans…plus there were a few rocks in there).  It’s going to be strange adapting to a new eating pattern.  Right now I am so used to eating three HUGE meals (you should see the amount of rice they give you here) and never snacking, however, I’m sure that is about to change. 
Overall, I’m so glad that I did this program.  I just can’t get over the fact that I’ve spent four months here.  It certainly doesn’t feel like it.  I have met a wonderful group of young individuals and have shared some meaningful conversations with many of them.  I know that I have definitely changed and grown as a person, however, I think it will take some time before I actually recognize these changes.  Eventually, I’ll have to reread my blog from the beginning, in order to get a sense of who I was before I came.  I thank you all for taking the time to follow me in Africa.  I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the comments and e-mails.  Happy holidays to all,
Erin
(Look for one more post after I return to the states)

No comments:

Post a Comment