Monday, October 17, 2011

Serengeti Part II

Antelope

Hippo

Baboon


Warthog

Cape Buffalo

Lion

Cheetah
Well, Africa, you have redeemed yourself.  After nearly a week and a half of being nauseatingly sick, I have finally recovered and am able to fully appreciate this beautiful continent.  The past three days we have been here in the Serengeti with our touring company.  We wake up every morning to the sound of our cooks busy in the mess hall preparing breakfast.  It varies from day to day but typically includes toast, jam, crepes, eggs, and sometimes fruit.  The other day they even had maple syrup!  It was so great since I have been craving pancakes for a while now.  Actually, I have been craving a lot of weird things lately.  For example, when I was sick, I couldn’t stand to even talk about food.  Yet, I somehow managed to crave ice water, French fries, ice cream sandwich, goldfish crackers, and pretzels.  And I nearly gobbled down a whole can of Pringles the other day when Liz offered them to me.  My body is clearly craving salt.  Lauren and I joke about how we just want all of our food covered in salt, and we frequently ask our tour staff to bring out the salt shaker at meal time.  Interestingly enough, today I ate a piece of toast and a plate of French fries for breakfast. They tasted SO good.  Sometimes, it’s just nice to have something that tastes a little bit more like home than rice, rice, rice.  And I think I’ve finally gotten away from the carb-loaded diet.  Yesterday, the sum total of my food intake was toast, pasta, quiche, rice, bread, and chapatti.  But anyway, point being, I feel much better and my appetite is coming back.
Each day we have gone on either one full-day game drive or two half-day drives.  I have seen loads of animals, many of them only 5 or 10 feet away from me!  Today we got to see a whole group of elephants cross right in front of our car and I got some great pictures.  We also got to see a group of three cheetahs!  It’s a bit terrifying, but is so awe-inspiring at the same time.  The elephants are definitely my favorite.  They look so peaceful and gentle.  I actually find them quite graceful. 
Yesterday we drove back while watching the sunset and it was absolutely gorgeous.  It was then, that I felt that Africa had redeemed herself.  I was finally able to appreciate the beauty of the grasslands and the Serengeti plains, the sun setting on the horizon, and the rains pouring out of the clouds in the distance.  In short, it was one of those moments that made me truly happy that I chose to study abroad in Africa. 
I miss everyone back home like crazy.  I haven’t really gotten homesick before this past week, but being ill definitely makes me think of all the people I love back home.  Mom and dad, I miss having you guys to make me soup when I’m sick and comfort me when I’m down.  Lara, I miss seeing you and watching your cross country meets and soccer games.  Garrett, I miss having you to joke around with (I have found a replacement for you, but don’t worry, it’s temporary.  Brennan is currently serving as my stand-in brother).  Veronica, I miss hiking with you and making lovely cakes.  Katrina, I miss just plain talking with you about life.  Tyler, I miss hanging out with you and tromping in the woods.  Laura, I miss procrastinating homework with you.  Julia, I miss our trips to target together.  Sarah, I miss our lunches and our random picture coloring sessions.  Kerry and Olivia, I miss my dynamic duo.  Emma and Roz, I miss my study abroad partners in crime and my best study buddies.  Sandy, I miss our crazy adventures in Madison.  And all of my friends from “science camp” this summer, I miss hanging out at random cafes in Iowa and having awkward conversations in the middle of the night. 
That being said, I love it here.  I wish you could all see it with me; it’s been such an amazing experience.  I’ll try to keep in touch in the next coming week, but I make no promises.  Internet is supposed to be better in Tarangire National Park where we will be heading to camp for 4 weeks, so hopefully I will be able to get on every other day or so.  Have a wonderful day and enjoy the fall weather for me J
Erin
Swahili Word of the Day: Tembo [Tehm-boe] = Elephant

No comments:

Post a Comment